Image of Excellence
The VCU Department of Radiology is at the forefront of academic radiology departments. Faculty offers clinical, technological, educational and research initiatives to train the next generation of radiologists and nuclear medicine physicians and to provide high-quality patient care.
Through our mission and vision, we strengthen the VCU School of Medicine’s ability to create respected educational and research opportunities.
Our Vision is to be recognized nationally and internationally as a world-class radiology department.
We are dedicated to our Image of Excellence through the fulfillment of our mission:
- To provide optimal care in a patient-centered environment
- To provide subspecialty expertise
- To provide top quality imaging and therapeutic procedures
- To advance medical education and research
Learn More about our Strategic Pillars
The VCU Department of Radiology's four pillars guide our decisions and actions:
We provide high-quality medical imaging services because patients, their well-being and safety, are our number one priority.
Our patient-centered environment includes:
- Friendly and caring staff
- Convenient and easy patient scheduling
- Timely appointment availability
- Multiple, accessible locations
- Rapid, electronic medical results reporting
- Readily available subspecialty radiologists for consultation
We provide highly trained and certified subspecialists including radiologists, nuclear medicine physicians, medical physicists, technologists and nurses. Fields of expertise include diagnostic, interventional, breast imaging, MRI, CT, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, and positron emission tomography (PET).
Quality Imaging and Therapeutic Procedures
We provide the highest standard of patient care and innovative procedures with a range of exciting clinical, technological, education and research initiatives.
We demonstrate commitment to quality through:
- Leadership in patient safety and quality
- High-level patient and referring physician satisfaction
- Cutting-edge procedures
- National accreditation of imaging services
- State-of-the-art technology and scanners
Advance Education and Research
As part of an academic medical center, VCU Department of Radiology educates the next generation of care providers and explores the horizons of medical knowledge.
We advance education and research through:
- Medical student education
- Resident education
- Fellow education
- Technologist education
- Nursing education
- Technologist and nursing student education
- Radiologist assistant educational program
- Nurse practitioner education
- Patient education
- Physician continuing medical education (e.g., local, regional, national, and international)
- Visiting fellowships, web-based teaching and innovative teaching modules
- Promoting clinical research through collaboration and support of basic science
- Increasing the amount of funded research