VCU Department of Radiology News
Find the VCU Department of Radiology current and archived newsworthy activities and accomplishments.
Josephina A Vossen, M.D., Ph.D. co-authors paper, research at VCU
Richmond, VA - September 2020 - Josephina A Vossen, M.D., Ph.D. co-authors "Automatic Characterization of Pelvic and Sacral Measures from 200 Subjects" to appear in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. The investigation for the paper was performed at VCU.
Neeraj Lalwani, M.D. co-authors and publishes two articles
Richmond, VA - September 2020 - Neeraj Lalwani, M.D., DABR, FSAR co-authors "Imaging of Colorectal Cancer: Screening, Staging & Surveillance" appearing in Seminars of Roentgenology and "MRI of Common Penile Pathologies and Penile Prostheses" appearing in Abdominal Radiology.
Dr. Christopher Ovanez presents winning abstract at the Virginia Chapter of the American College of Radiology annual meeting
Richmond, VA - August 8, 2020 - Christopher Ovanez, M.S., M.P.H., M.D. is a diagnostic radiology resident (PGY5/R4) with the VCU Department of Radiology and a Virginia Chapter of the American College of Radiology (VCACR) Resident Abstract Award winner.
Dr. Ovanez successfully presented his winning abstract, Minimal Aortic Injury Detected on CT Angiography During Initial Trauma Imaging: Single Academic Level 1 Trauma Experience, at the virtual VCACR annual meeting. He has been involved in numerous research activities resulting in publications and presentations, as well as receiving recognition and awards.
VCU Radiologists Elected as Alternate Councilors to the Virginia Chapter of the American College of Radiology Board
- Jacqueline A Urbine, M.D., Associate Professor and Chief of Pediatric Imaging
- Elizabeth K Proffitt, M.D., Assistant Professor with Cardiothoracic Imaging
- Mary A Turner, M.D., FACR, FSAR, Professor, Vice Chair of the VCU Department of Radiology, and Director of Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Radiology
Breast Imaging Centers pass annual Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) inspection
Richmond, VA - July 2020 - VCU Breast Imaging Centers at Nelson Clinic and Stony Point 9000 pass annual Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) inspection by the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA). The inspection involves a rigorous on-site review of practices and documentation. Annual evaluations of breast imaging facilities focuses on quality standards including, for example, equipment performance, quality assurance (QA) records, quality Control (QC) reports and tests, and qualification records of staff. The Mammography Quality Standards Act, passed in 1992 with final regulations effective in 1999, established national quality standards for mammography. The MQSA requires mammography facilities to meet final regulations and obtain accreditation by the FDA. Learn more about our breast imaging section.
The American Society of Emergency Radiology accepts oral presentation by members of the VCU Department of Radiology for 2020 annual meeting.
Richmond, VA - July 2020 - The American Society of Emergency Radiology (ASER) Scientific Program Subcommittee accepts oral presentation by members of the VCU Department of Radiology for the upcoming 2020 ASER virtual meeting. The oral presentation, Minimal Aortic Injury Detected on CT Angiography During Initial Trauma Imaging: Single Academic Level 1 Trauma Center Experience, was authored by Christopher Ovanez, M.D., Leila Rezai Gharai, M.D., Mark S. Parker M.D., William Goodman, D.O. This oral presentation was previously presented at the March 2020 Society of Thoracic Radiology Meeting by Christopher Ovanez, M.D. where he won 1st Place.Visit Our Cardiothoracic Imaging Section
Shaimaa Fadl, M.D. receives 2020 RSNA Honored Educator Award
Richmond, VA - July 2020 - Shaimaa Fadl, M.D., assistant professor in the cardiothoracic imaging section, receives the 2020 Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Honored Educator Award for her dedication to furthering the profession of radiology by delivering an array of educational resources in the past calendar year for the RSNA. Established in 2011, the RSNA Honored Educator Award recognizes members who produce high-quality educational content for the RSNA. The RSNA showcases the award recipients on its website and in RSNA News. Learn more about the cardiothoracic imaging section and Dr. Fadl.
VCU Department of Radiology Expands to VCU Health Emergency Center at New Kent
The VCU Department of Radiology offers advanced medical imaging, including digital X-ray, ultrasound and computed tomography (CT) at the VCU Health Emergency Center at New Kent, now open.Learn more about the VCU Health Emergency Center at New Kent
Mark S. Parker, M.D. sits on RADPEER Committee, contributes to article
Richmond, VA - June 2020 - Mark S. Parker, M.D., Cardiothoracic Imaging Co-section Chief and Professor of Diagnostic Radiology and Internal Medicine, participates on the American College of Radiology RADPEER Committee contributing to the preparation of, "Forty-One Million RADPEER Reviews Later: What We Have Learned and Are Still Learning", an original Clinical Practice Management article available via the Journal of the American College of Radiology (JACR) website.
Laura R. Carucci, M.D., Professor of Radiology, receives Fellow of the American College of Radiology
Josephina A. Vossen, M.D., Ph.D., a musculoskeletal radiologist, receives promotion to Associate Professor
Richmond, VA - May 2020 - The VCU School of Medicine awards Josephina A. Vossen, M.D., Ph.D. a well deserved promotion to Associate Professor. Dr. Vossen is a musculoskeletal (MSK) radiologist who serves as Director of the Radiology Residency Education Program, Associate Director of the Integrated Interventional Radiology Residency Program, and MSK Medical Director at VCU Health Stony Point. Follow the link to read more about Dr. Vossen and the Radiology Residency Program.
The VCU Department of Radiology is at the forefront of comprehensive medical education, novel research and patient-centered care.
- April 2020
- Three physicians from the Department of Radiology at VCU Health, Ann S. Fulcher, M.D., FACR and Gregory Vorona, M.D. for Diagnostic Radiology, and Brian Strife, M.D. for Interventional Radiology were named in the list of Richmond Magazine Top Doctors 2020 (a new window to an external site will open).
- April 2020
- "Characterization and verification of lead thickness of commercially available lead foil tape for the measurements of lead equivalency of radio-protective shields" by professor Pei-Jan Paul Lin, Ph.D., Ryan Wargo, M.S., DABR, and Ph.D. student Areej Aljabal is the last in a series of three papers accepted for publication in the Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics (JACMP).
- March 2020
- Jayashree Parekh, M.D. named Chair of the Division of Nuclear Medicine for the VCU Department of Radiology.
- March 2020
- Radiology resident, Jay Pham, featured in VCU News, "Class of 2020: Former nail salon owner and father of five gets ‘second chance’ with career in medicine" article.
- January 2020
- The VCU Health Low-Dose Lung Cancer Screening program was featured by Charles Fishburne on VPM NPR News. Listen to the story at VCU Health's Low-Dose Lung Cancer Screening Saves Lives (a new window will open).
- January 2020
- Dream comes true for VCU Health Lung Cancer Screening nurse navigator and program coordinator, Michelle Futrell, MSN, MBA, RN, who was a contestant on the Wheel of Fortune with her episode airing Monday, January 20, 2020 on Richmond's local channel 8 (WRIC). The Wheel of Fortune is a syndicated television game show where contestants spin a wheel to guess individual letters, buy vowels and win chances to solve hidden phrases. Read Michelle's story on 8News (a new window will open).
- November 2019
- Radiologist, Brian Strife, M.D., was recognized with a 2019 Best Bedside Manner Award, an annual honor presented by OurHealth Magazine. Eighty VCU Health providers were recognized and 16 providers, including Brian Strife, M.D., placed first in their medical specialty. Recipients were selected based on votes from community members and medical professionals in Richmond.
- June 2019
- The VCU Department of Radiology expands musculoskeletal (MSK) imaging services at the Neuroscience, Orthopaedic and Wellness Center (N.O.W. Center) with the acquisition of new 128-slice computed topography (CT), dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and 3 Tesla MRI scanners.
- April 2019
- Four physicians from the Department of Radiology at VCU Health, Ann S. Fulcher, M.D. and Jinxing Yu, M.D. for Diagnostic Radiology, and Brian Strife, M.D. and Malcolm Sydnor Jr., M.D. for Interventional Radiology were named in the list of Richmond Magazine Top Doctors 2019 (a new window will open).
- February 2019
- Laura R. Carucci, M.D. from the Department of Radiology at VCU Health was nominated by her peers in the list of Virginia Living Top Doctors 2019 (a new window will open).
- The Department of Radiology's Priti Shah, M.D. won first place in the 2018 OurHealth Magazine for Richmond's Best Bedside Manners in the specialty of Radiology, as recognized by the public.
- October 2018
- The Department of Radiology at VCU Health was featured in a Radiology Business story, "Real-time Analytics Help VCU Health Radiologists Care Optimization".
- September 2018
- April 2018
- Six VCU Health Department of Radiology providers named Top Docs 2018 by Richmond Magazine. Congratulations to the 2018 Top Docs winners John Grizzard, M.D. and Jinxing Yu, M.D. for Diagnostic Radiology; Gordon Morano, M.D., Brian Strife, M.D., and Malcolm Sydnor Jr., M.D. for Interventional Radiology; and Gregory Vorona, M.D. for Diagnostic Radiology at the Children's Hospital of Richmond at VCU. Review the complete list at VCU Health Top Docs of 2018 by Richmond Magazine (a new window will open).
- April 2018
- Three VCU Health Department of Radiology physicians among Virginia Living's Top Doctors of 2018 list. Congratulations to Top Doctors in Radiology Ann S. Fulcher, M.D., FACR, Curtis Hayes, M.D., FACR, and Mary Ann Turner, M.D., FACR. Review the VCU Health provider list of Virginia Livings Top Doctors of 2018 (a new window will open).
- October 2017
- Uma R. Prasad, M.D. honored with MCV Physicians Distinguished Clinician Award for commitment to providing exceptional patient care
- June 2017
- November 2013
- Mary Ann Turner, M.D., FACR honored with the Irby-James Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching for her long-term and significant impact on clinical education at VCU. In 2011 she received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Society of Gastrointestinal Radiologists.
- August 2013
- Inaugural edition of the VCU Department of Radiology Image of Excellence newsletter
- May 21, 2012
- The Lung Cancer Alliance designates VCU Medical Center's Lung Cancer Screening Program as a Screening Center of Excellence (SCOE) offering best practices and demonstrating a commitment to responsible, high-quality screening practices. This designation ensures that low dose CT screening for lung cancer is done in a safe, efficient and equitable manner.