Breast Imaging Fellowship
Our one-year breast imaging fellowship program is exciting, thriving, progressive and patient-centered. We offer screening and diagnostic mammography, including tomosynthesis, breast ultrasound, breast MRI, imaging-guided breast and axillary biopsies and fine needle aspirations, ductography, preoperative localizations and second opinion consultations. We provide services at two sites: the Adult Outpatient Pavilion at the downtown campus and the outpatient center at Stony Point.
We are a clinically oriented service focused on providing our patients with accurate and efficient care delivered in a compassionate manner. We are set up to complete diagnostic work-ups, including biopsies, on the same day of service. Pathology provides us results for any imaging-guided biopsy the next day, and our surgeons will see patients within 48 hours of a breast cancer diagnosis.
Working side by side with staff, the breast imaging fellows are an integral part of the service responsible for all aspects of patient care. The fellows are also responsible for helping cover weekly multidisciplinary conferences, monthly rad-path conferences, as well as teaching residents and medical students.
Breast Imaging Faculty
Kelley Z. Allison, M.D.
Associate Clinical Professor
Breast Imaging Fellowship
- Working side-by-side with staff, the Breast Imaging fellows are an integral part of our services and patient care.
- The fellows are responsible for helping cover weekly multidisciplinary conferences, monthly rad-path conferences, and teaching residents and medical students.
- Fellows participate in all aspects of Breast Imaging, including mammography, breast ultrasound and MRI, biopsies including ultrasound and MR-guided biopsies, and patient consultations.
- Fellows also learn leadership and how to manage a service, interact with technologists, staff colleagues from other services involved in Breast Health, including oncologists, surgeons and pathologists.
- Fellows are assigned to weekend call in the Plain Film Call Pool no more frequent than every fifth weekend and there is no night call.
- Fellows learn graduated independence.
- Fellows learn all aspects of mammography quality assurance, national standards and requirements.
- Daily read-outs with faculty and strong faculty interface. This is not a fellow-run service where faculty are rarely present.
The Breast Imaging Section does not currently participate in the Breast Imaging Fellowship match.
We follow the SCARD Fellowship Embargo Guidelines. Please follow this link for the guidelines at SCARD
Please follow this link for the VCU Department of Radiology fellowship application process.