Taryar M. Zaw, M.D.
- Musculoskeletal imaging and intervention
- M.D. - David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- Internship, Internal Medicine - Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, VA
- Residency, Diagnostic Radiology – Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, VA
- Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Imaging and Intervention - Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, AZ
PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Brinkman JC, Zaw TM, Fox MG, Wilcox JG, Hattrup SJ, Chhabra A, Neville MR, Hartigan DE. Calcific tendonitis of the shoulder: protector or predictor of cuff pathology? An MRI-based study. Arthroscopy. 2019 Dec 6.
- W Phyu, T Zaw, J K. Park, M Changa, H Lee. Endovascular management of posttraumatic and iatrogenic large pelvic pseudoaneurysms following biopsy: case report. Radiology Case Reports. 26 December 2016.
- T Zaw, JC Ni, JK Park, M Walsworth. Upper extremity tumor embolization using a transradial artery approach: technical note. Radiology Case Reports, September 2016.
- Jonathan Park, Win Phyu, Taryar Zaw, Matthew Walsworth, Hsin-Yi Lee, Edward Wolfgang Lee, Yttrium-90 Radioembolization of Nonconventional Liver Tumors. Interventional Oncology. July 2016.
- Park JK, Al-Tariq QZ, Zaw TM, Raman SS, Lu DS. Radiofrequency Ablation for the Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients with Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. Feb 12, 2015.
- Zaw, T.M.; Park, J.K.; Al-Tariq, Q.; Yoo, B.; Villablanca, J.P. Feasibility of Ventral Epidural Blood Patch Placement via CT-Guided Transforaminal Approach for the Treatment of Intracranial Hypotension. Neurographics, Volume 4, Number 2, June 2014, pp. 101-105(5).
- Zaw TM, Pope WB, Cloughesy TF, Lai A, Nghiemphu PL, Ellingson BM. Short-interval estimation of proliferation rate using serial diffusion MRI predicts progression-free survival in newly diagnosed glioblastoma treated with radiochemotherapy. J Neurooncol. 2014 Feb;116(3):601-8.
- Mong S, Ellingson BM, Nghiemphu PL, Kim HJ, Mirsadraei L, Lai A, Yong W, Zaw TM, Cloughesy TF, Pope WB. Persistent diffusion-restricted lesions in bevacizumab-treated malignant gliomas are associated with improved survival compared with matched controls. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Oct;33(9):1763-70.
- Harris RJ, Cloughesy TF, Pope WB, Nghiemphu PL, Lai A, Zaw T, Czernin J, Phelps ME, Chen W, Ellingson BM. 18F-FDOPA and 18F-FLT positron emission tomography parametric response maps predict response in recurrent malignant gliomas treated with bevacizumab. Neuro Oncol. 2012 Aug;14(8):1079-89.
- Finley DS, Ellingson BM, Natarajan S, Zaw TM, Raman SS, Schulam P, Reiter RE, Margolis D. Diffusion tensor magnetic resonance tractography of the prostate: feasibility for mapping periprostatic fibers. Urology. 2012 Jul;80(1):219-23.
- White CM, Pope WB, Zaw T, Qiao J, Naeini KM, Lai A, Nghiemphu PL, Wang JJ, Cloughesy TF, Ellingson BM. Regional and Voxel-Wise Comparisons of Blood Flow Measurements Between Dynamic Susceptibility Contrast Magnetic Resonance Imaging (DSC-MRI) and Arterial Spin Labeling (ASL) in Brain Tumors. J Neuroimaging. 2012 Jun 5.
- Ellingson BM, Zaw T, Cloughesy TF, Motevalibashinaeini K, Lalezari S, Lai A, Nghiemphu P, Pope WB. Comparison between intensity normalization techniques for dynamic susceptibility contrast (DSC)-MRI estimates of cerebral blood volume (CBV) in human glioma. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2012 Jan 26.
- Ellingson BM, Cloughesy TF, Zaw T, Lai A, Nghiemphu PL, Harris R, Lalezari S, Wagle N, Naeini KM, Carrillo J, Liau LM, Pope WB. Functional diffusion maps (fDMs) evaluated before and after radiochemotherapy predict progression-free and overall survival in newly diagnosed glioblastoma. Neuro Oncol. 2012 Jan 22.
- Ellingson BM, Cloughesy TF, Pope WB, Zaw TM, Phillips H, Lalezari S, Nghiemphu PL, Ibrahim H, Naeini KM, Harris RJ, Lai A. Anatomic localization of O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) promoter methylated and unmethylated tumors: A radiographic study in 358 de novo human glioblastomas. NeuroImage. 7 Oct 2011.
- Ellingson BM, Cloughesy TF, Lai A, Nghiemphu P, Lalezari S, Zaw T, Motevalibashinaeini K, Mischel P, Pope WB. Quantification of edema reduction using differential quantitative T2 (DQT2) relaxometry mapping in recurrent glioblastoma treated with bevacizumab. Journal of Neuro-oncology. 25 June 2011.
- 2010- 2012 Senior Research Thesis, Charles Drew /UCLA School of Medicine. PI: Taryar Zaw, Mentors: Benjamin Ellingson, PhD, Whitney Pope, MD, PhD, Shahrzad Bazargan, PhD
Topic: Proliferation level estimates from serial diffusion MR images predict response in de novo glioblastoma treated with radiochemotherapy.
- Performed literature review, developed research protocol under the supervision of mentors, formal poster presentation and publication.
- 2010-2011 MS4 researcher, Neuroradiology, MedQIA, UCLA
Mentors: Dr Whitney Pope, MD, PhD, Dr Benjamin Ellingson, PhD.
- Studied treatment responses in patients with brain cancers using functional diffusion maps(fDM), Cell Invasion Motility Proliferation Level Estimate (CIMPLE) maps.
- Involved in literature search, image processing, data analysis/interpretation, manuscript writing, presenting results, discussion at weekly lab meetings, computer programming support.
- Learned AFNI, FSL, Diffusion toolkit, TrackVis, GNUPLOT, Bash programming, fDM processing, CIMPLE maps processing, cerebral perfusion study.
- Created 50-pages-long comprehensive image processing manual in fDM processing.
- Contoured 1,420 brain tumors using AFNI.
- Taught/trained medical students, graduate students and MDs in image processing, bash scripting, and other computer programming support.
- 2008 MS1 researcher, Neuroradiology, UCLA. Mentor: Dr Pablo Villablanca, MD
- Assisted in a study comparing 3T MR angiography vs CT Angiography in patients with cerebral aneurysms.
- Involved in literature search, image processing.
- 2006-07 Chemist/Researcher, Avery Dennison Research Center, Pasadena, CA
- Produced cost-effective anti-theft tags for clothing industries.
- 2005-06 Undergraduate student researcher, Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA, Mentor: Dr. Debora Farber, PhD, Y. Q. Gao, PhD
- Performed polymerase chain reactions and gel electrophoresis, assisted in identifying polymorphisms that might be responsible for retinal degeneration.